Princess Theatre

Launceston's home of entertainment

A little bit of history ...

The Examiner of Monday 28 August 1911 carried an enthusiastic story about the new Princess Theatre which was to be formally opened two days later by the Mayor.

"It is the interior that will charm the patron most. He will admire the imposing character of the front elevation, shown up as it will be by the blaze of four 2000 c.p. flame arc lamps, but when he gets within it will be to marvel at the magnificent proportions and the artistic decoration of the house, and its complete and varied appointments… The dome and ceiling are a dream of loveliness."

 

The article went on to describe in great detail the foyers, the stamped metal ceilings and the magnificent dome in the auditorium. Concealed in the dome "amidst a wealth of elegance [is] a ventilator at the apex that will carry off foul air and assist to keep the building cool and fresh."

 

There were also a series of 13 circular ventilating windows, which swung on pivots, and with leaded glass behind which were electric lamps. These lamps provided subdued lighting in the auditorium when the general lights were out.

 

Costing between £14,000 and £15,000 the Princess was built for Mr Marino Lucas, a vaudeville entrepreneur from Hobart. All the work except for the stamped metal ceilings was done in Launceston. Messrs J & T Gunn were the contractors for the building, decoration and electric lighting.